Skip to main content

Kirby's Dreamland - Tutorial level Analysis

Platform Game Analysis

Kirby's Dreamland

For my platform tutorial analysis, I had chosen Kirby's Dreamland. A game boy edition and the very kirby first game was directed by Masahiro Sakurai. As I started playing the game, the very first difference I noticed, was that, the game would start, by using the start button. Which made me realize that, this was a one person game. as the level loads up, the first observations is the main character and the player can  experiment with the controls.
  • Up button - Fly
  • Down button -  to duck
  • Left button -  to move left
  • Right button - to move right  
  • A button -  to short jump
  • B button - to to suck in the enemies
 Using these options, the player can use any combination  defeat on coming enemies. The level increases in difficulties  as a player progresses, therefore the learning curve for the game gets steeper with progression of the level. The pacing of the games challenges the player to react faster using numerous combinations.

Players can figure out how to proceed and play the game by using the controls. Once players know how to sue the controls they can figure out how to proceed. During the game, a player faces many different sort of obstacles as the game progresses; 
  • Slow pacing enemies
  • Fast pacing enemies
  •  Normal pacing enemies
  • Flight enemies
  • Mini bosses
  • Flying bug enemies
These enemies act as obstacles for the players to be engaged in the game. As the tutorial advances the difficulties rises by playing against several enemies at once, which helps the player to use combinations of  movements to defeat the enemy. A player gets positive feed back by defeating the mini bosses and completing the 3 sub-levels of the tutorial levels. A player gets a negative feed back if he looses all his life and repeat at the start point. 

The story does not come into play until much later of the game, therefore when playing tutorial level, player does not really know about the story line of the game.




















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Particles Refrence and Tutorial!!!!!!!!

Hey guys! For this post, I am excited to announce that I have been learning particles in Unreal Engine 4. And i have to say I have learned alot and enjoyed learning particle this far.  When i first started learning them, I thought they would be complicated, but the statement prooved to be false and was surperised how easy it was to understand them and apply them. After practicing through the tutorials I have learned  all the different types of particles, such as, emitter particle effects, HUD emitter particle effects, Mesh particles, Ribbon particles,  animation curve particles. Anyway, continuing the current assignment, i had to do some research on what kind of a particle do I need to work on and how I can apply that to my other collaborative project of the racing level. And the answer to that was kinda obvious. since i wanted to  have a sand storm in my level, I decided to peruse the sand storm effect. I looked at few real life references and few game ones....

Interactive realistic water ripple effect with dissolving material

By Mayank Babbar Introduction: The original aim of this project was to have interactive water ripples with the player or any moving mesh in 3D space. To achieve this goal, I subdivided this project into the following 4 phases: Research. Process. Progress. Execution. Each of the above phases were treated as calculated time sensitive variables and were executed within the give time frame. Following is my timeline for each phase. Week Number Dates Phases 1 3/31 - 4/4 Research 2 4/7 – 4/11 Process - Progress 3 4/14 – 4/18 Progress -Execution 4 4/21 – 4/25 Execution- complete 5 4/28 – 5/2 Submit Phase 1: Research In this phase I researched on many games characters moving through water mesh.  I took references from the uncharted series, Tomb raider and others. After observing how water would react, I looked for tutorials online. They are as follows. How to make interactive water ripples with moving mesh https:/...

Level analysis of Asphalt 8 Airbone

Asphalt 8 Airborne -  London Track- Classic Game over view:  A sphalt  8 Airborne is a racing  game created for IOS and android systems. The game focuses solely on racing  and has individual missions on the side.   Its free to download and  has excellent graphics . There are 9 seasons  in the game, and each season consists of 15 races.   To advance into the next season you should have  collected a certain amount of stars ( act as experience points) to qualify  for next season or you could pay certain amount of money using your credit/ debit card. As you collect money and stars, you can buy  better cars and unlock more tracks. Some tracks can only be unlocked if you have purchased a specific brand of cars. Then again money is the other option. The game also have a multiplayer option. Game Play and Mechanics: • The game play is pretty straight forward. The level is designed to   potray an actual functioning ci...